Golf tradition in Serbia started in 1936. when Golf Club Belgrade was founded under the patronage of the governor of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia at the time, Prince Paul. The first golf course was built in Belgrade, close to the present, in the resort town Košutnjak. The course had 9 holes, but after three years, the already existing holes have been added by one more. The work of this initial Golf Club Belgrade was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. It took 67 years to continue its work, when the new Golf Club Belgrade was founded and tradition of golf in Serbia was able to continue.
Today, the Golf Club Beograd is located four kilometers from the city center in a natural oasis of Belgrade. On the island of the Sava river, Adi Ciganlija, surrounded by old river forest, wild nature and authentic preserved flora and fauna there is a golf complex. Golf course, driving range, clubhouse and reception with the proshop are located on an area of 35 hectares.
Golf Club Belgrade course is one of the so-called “parkland” golf courses, which means that they are in the park, with narrow grassy fairways, and plenty of trees. Construction lasted for two years, and the course is built under strict international standards, starting from design, irrigation, grass mixtures, to natural and man-made obstacles, lakes, sand barriers and so on. The terrain is very interesting and requires maximum concentration and precision. Players who enter the world of golf on this course, acquire great skills to play at any of the world-famous courses. Many golfers as well as various European golf magazines mark it as one of the most beautiful urban golf courses in Europe.